Sunday, January 2, 2011

Swan Lake

Last night, my sister and I went to see Black Swan and can I just say wow. If you haven't seen it...Go. Now. It's probably one of the best movies I've ever seen in my life. I mean don't get me wrong, it's very disturbing and scary and sit-on-the-edge-of-your-seat-waiting-for-something-bad-to-happen but oh my god good.

So what does this have to do with fashion, you ask? Well...not only is Black Swan up for the most Critic's Choice Awards of any movie ever (12 to be exact) and 4 Golden Globe nominations (Best Motion Picture, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, and Best Director) but it's also up for Best Costume Design..my favorite! Costume designer Amy Westcott along with Laura & Kate Mulleavy aka the designing sisters that make up Rodarte did all of the designs for the film. They designed 40 costumes for Natalie Portman and the rest of the cast which they described as being difficult and that building a tutu has become a "lost couture art". Although most of the costumes are very simple and mostly ballet dancer casual wear, you can really see the intricate detail, and the costumes for the actual ballet Swan Lake were gorgeous.
And so is Natalie Portman...not fair.


Those picture aren't very fashion-y but I couldn't really find exactly what I wanted, so you'll just have to see the movie to get a real feel :)

THEN I got Natalie Portman's cover issue of Vogue (January 2011). Normally I like when magazines take a celebrity out of their element for spreads but I looovvee the fact that Vogue didn't do that this time. Instead they almost kept her in character of Nina from Black Swan and it totally worked.


Could you get any more gorgeous than that? Probably not.
PS. Go see Black Swan



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made me wanna see it! thanks for sharing

THE DIVINITUS said...

good movie.