Monday, February 27, 2012

Academy Awards

Last night was the 2012 Academy Awards aka the Oscars, which means I got absolutely nothing productive done the entire day. Switching between the live red carpet coverage on E! and ABC, while creating (and editing) my own best dressed list, watching the actual awards show, and then the coverage of the after parties takes a lot of effort, people! Billy Crystal did an amazing job hosting for the 9th time, and aside from J Lo's nip slip on live television, everything seemed to go smoothly. And I'm not going to lie, I teared up when Octavia Spencer won Best Supporting Actress. But obviously, the red carpet fashion was what caught my attention the most, and here are the lucky few that made it onto my prestigious best dressed list.

Milla Jovovich in Elie Saab. The white embellished gown and exaggerated shoulder looked amazing on her. It was the perfect combination of sexy and feminine, and easily one of the best looks of the night.


Jessica Chastain in Alexander McQueen. One of my absolute favorites of the night. Such a tricky print to wear and somewhat of a risk, but I thought Jessica pulled off this black and gold gown with medal threading better than anyone could. Her gorgeous hair & skin color completed the entire look perfectly.


Emma Stone in Giambattista Valli has yet to disappoint me on a red carpet. All night the comparison to Nicole Kidman's Balenciaga gown from 2007 was made (no denying it) but Emma looked amazing regardless. Not to mention she had me laughing out loud presenting an award with Ben Stiller.


Kristen Wiig in J. Mendel. I may be a little biased just because I love her and J. Mendel so much but it was a perfect combination for me. And the fact that she did it with a pretty relaxed hairstyle compared to most Oscar updos, made it even better.


Rooney Mara in Givenchy, once again. The girl with the dragon tattoo has been wearing solid black almost all of awards season so it was refreshing to see her in a white gown. 


Gwyneth Paltrow in Tom Ford. I think she was on everyone's best dressed list for the night. The gown, complete with a very dramatic floor length cape was the biggest and really the only statement this year.


Angelina Jolie in Versace. I have never someone work (a little overworked, really) a gown like Angelina did last night and she looked stunning in the velvet strapless gown. Although I wish that leg had stayed inside the dress for some of the night..

No comments: